Friday, August 30, 2013

The Yelling Mommy

There is a trend running the social media circuit right now of not yelling at your kids.  

“Take the 365-day challenge!  Have your children hold you accountable!”  Seriously??

Sorry, this one isn’t for me.  As if the “no spanking” trend isn’t bad enough.

I just can’t see myself sweetly saying, “Cooper, honey, don’t run into the street when a car is coming.”  Or for the fourth time, “Don’t dump your milk on the floor, Darling.”  Or, “That’s okay that you just threw a block and hit me in the head.  I’m sure you didn’t mean to.”

Or, with this challenge, if I do forget and yell accidentally, he can say, “Mommy, you’re not supposed to yell.”  Then I’m the bad guy and he’s the victim, even though he just ate a cookie after I told him he couldn’t have one, or came up to me and deliberately turned my computer off while I was using it.

God gave us the ability to raise our voices.  It’s a very effective tool for getting our children's attention and showing them that we mean business.  It works for me, anyway.

This is not to say that I enjoy yelling at my son, but sometimes the situation warrants it.  It’s a tool I save for when I need it.  I can’t say I never use it when I shouldn’t.  Sometimes I get frustrated more easily than I should and take it out on him.  We all make mistakes as parents, but I believe that yelling when I maybe shouldn’t have is a small one.  I can always apologize, with minimal consequences.

So, if you’re taking on this no-yelling challenge, then good for you!  I wish you the best.  May peace and quiet prevail in your home.  And may your children turn out perfect.  Mine may be scarred for life, but I have a hard time believing it will be because I yelled at him every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment