Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chicken


One way I have found to stretch my grocery budget is to buy a whole chicken, cook it and shred the leftovers for use in something else: soups, casseroles, chicken salad, enchiladas, etc.

I have 2 different methods I use to cook chickens: in the crock pot and in the oven.  I use the crock pot on hot days because it doesn’t heat up the house, or if I won’t have time to cook it before meal time.  I actually prefer it cooked in the oven: the skin is crispier and I think it tastes better overall, so I use this method when I can.

For either method, start by washing it and removing the “innards,” if they are included.  Rub the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with some seasonings (salt, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, etc.) and a little lemon juice if desired.  You can stuff some chopped onion inside too, if you want to.

I use a 6-quart crock pot, but you can use a 3-quart one for a smaller chicken, standing it on the end.  Just be sure the lid goes on securely.   Cook it on Low for 8-10 hours.

To cook it in the oven, for a 3-1/2 pound chicken, cook it breast side up at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.  You’ll need to cook it a little longer if it’s bigger. I usually baste it a time or two toward the end.   If you have a meat thermometer, it should be 180° in the thigh when it’s ready.  This one came with a thermometer that pops out when it is ready.

After we eat what we want for one meal, I can usually pull off between two and six cups of meat, depending on the size of the chicken.   I then put 1 or 2 cup portions in bags or plastic containers and freeze them, unless I’m planning to use it in the next day or two.  It usually takes me 20 minutes or so, so be sure you don’t plan this on a night when you will be in a hurry after dinner.

Here’s one recipe I use it for.  Cooper calls this “Foodles.”

1-2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2-1/2 cups water
¼ tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 envelope Ranch salad dressing or dip mix
¼ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
4 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
1/3 cup Ranch salad dressing

Put water, bouillon, Ranch mix and pepper in a skillet and stir with a whisk.   Bring to a boil and then add egg noodles.  Allow to cook about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Add Ranch dressing and chicken and heat thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment