Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Easter Eggs for Toddlers


I’m having our annual family Easter egg hunt this weekend.  This year Cooper, age two, will participate.  I got him some larger-than-normal eggs to distinguish his from everyone else’s, since he really can’t compete with older children and adults.

Which brings about a dilemma.  What do I put inside those eggs?  Everyone else’s eggs are filled with candy, money and toys.  I am not encouraging too much candy for him at this age, though I am putting that in a few of them.  He wouldn’t know what to do with money except, perhaps, eat it.  Pretty much any toy that is small enough to fit inside an egg is labeled with, “Not for children under 3.”  Hmmm.

So, I’ve thought about it and made a list of things that might be suitable:

Foods: Teddy Grahams, Goldfish, raisins or Craisins, pretzels, grapes.  I even found some “Cuties” (oranges) at Wal-Mart that are small enough to fit inside of these larger eggs.

Other: stickers, balloons (use caution), Play-Doh (the party favor size fits), and tiny bottles of bubbles.

Of course, be sure you save these eggs and “recycle” them for next year.  The only problem with that is that I’ve been doing it for years, and my collection keeps growing as we attend egg hunts or other people donate theirs to me.  Then I have more eggs to fill the next year.  Oh well.  No one who attends my egg hunts really seems to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment