Friday, March 22, 2013

Staying Home . . . or Not


Judge not, and you will not be judged.”  Luke 6:37

I was talking today to some of my MOPS friends (“Mothers of Preschoolers,” a GREAT place to hang out with other moms).  Some of them were expressing concern that they feel judged by their working-mother peers, maybe because they don’t contribute to the family income, or because they would not be prepared if something happened to their husband.  But we discussed how we sometimes tend to judge those working mothers too, because we perceive they aren’t spending enough time with their children, are too materialistic, etc.

Do we really need to judge each other?  Some mothers truly have to work (because they are single or for some other reason), but most of us have the freedom to make the choice, subject to our husband’s agreement and other factors in our lives. 

And we make different choices.  We place importance on different factors.  Some people want a nicer house, or they don’t feel like they have the patience to stay home with their children all day.  Some don’t think they could handle the isolation from other adults. 

I personally always knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and it took me longer than most to be able to achieve that status.  But now that I am one, I haven’t regretted it for even one day.  Maybe for a minute or two (I will look at someone’s nice house or car and wonder what it would be like to have that), but then I remember: there is no substitute, in my way of thinking, for what I’m doing now.  My son will only be young once.  I treasure those mornings when we get up and read our Bible story and just cuddle, sometimes for an hour or more.  I cherish rocking him to sleep, taking him to the zoo or other places and watching his eyes light up as he experiences things for the first time.  I got to see his first steps, his first giggle, and a lot of other precious things that I would have missed if he were in day care all day.  I get to teach him my values and reinforce the behavior I want to see in him.

I’m glad I am able to get things like laundry, cleaning and grocery shopping done during the day so that the evenings when my husband gets home can be relatively stress-free and we can have a relaxing dinner and family time.  But that’s my choice.  Thankfully, it’s my husband’s choice too, and what we believe God has called us to for this season of our lives.

But for others who are in a different place, that’s their choice too.  I will try not to judge them and hope they will not judge me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment