Friday, March 29, 2013

Teaching Children about Christ's Resurrection

Besides reading books about Easter (or "Resurrection Day," as it is known to many Christians), I have used two other fun methods to teach Cooper about it this year.

The first is Resurrection Eggs (which I picked up at a garage sale last year for $1).  It is a set of twelve plastic eggs, each containing some sort of token which tells a part of the story of Jesus' death and resurrection.  The last one is empty, representing the empty tomb.  There is also a book to go along with them that explains what each token is for.  We did one each day for twelve days, and he could hardly wait from day to day to open the next one.

This morning we made Resurrection Rolls, which give you a chance to tell the gospel story while you are making them, and then you have a delicious treat to eat!

I have never done this, but I saw a recipe recently that I may do next year, Empty Tomb Cookies

Easter is my favorite holiday, and while I enjoy egg hunts and other frivolity, it is truly the holiest day in the Christian calendar, the day Christ was raised from the dead after dying on the cross for our sins.  While young children may not understand the full implication of this, it can't hurt to begin building a foundation of these wonderful truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment